Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I've met my people!

I spent a gorgeous few days with my grandparents on my way out, in order to spend some time with them, and then say a proper goodbye. Grandma and I went to the beach, where I stepped on the business end of a jellyfish, and half-drowned myself in waves because, like a six-year-old, waves are the best thing ever. Grandpa, after making fun of me for my obsession with lizards, helped me spot them.
Here's one!

Another one!
Can't hide, silly lizard.
I can't tell if this one is flirting, or telling me to back off.

The short hop-skip flight over from Orlando to Miami was delayed slightly due to a storm, which we then flew right through. There was some turbulence, as might be expected, and a few short drops. What wasn't expected was the screaming. The dips were just enough to put your stomach up into your throat, but not plummeting-from-the-sky type falls, though from the reactions of the passengers, you'd certainly have thought we'd been struck out of the sky by lightning. There was screaming and sobbing and hysterics, and the most frantic praying I've ever heard coming from one of the seats behind me. We landed safely and smoothly about fifteen minutes later, none the worse for wear.

Now I'm at "staging" for the next few days, to meet my cohort, fill out some paperwork, sit in conference-style information sessions, and drink obscene amounts of coffee. My luggage is scattered all about the hotel room, despite my best efforts. Repacking is going to be a nightmare. 

My cohort is lovely. There are ten of us; six boys and four girls. The girls are all tattooed. Not that it makes any difference, but it gave us a bonding moment as we all showcased our artwork. One of the boys is also from my grad school. So far (and yes, it's only been three days, so in a week or a year I may despise them all) they've all been fun, funny, intelligent, and friendly.
Even better, we're all complete animal/environment nerds. A lizard skittered by as we were all walking out for lunch, and ALL TEN OF US got all excited and jockeyed for a better look at it. I have found my people, and we're all incredibly weird.

PS: This is the view from my hotel room balcony. Be jealous. And yes, of course I suggested holding the informational meetings IN the pool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment