Saturday, August 6, 2016

Packing is the Worst

The general rule of thumb with packing is pack what you need, then take out half of the clothes, and put in twice the money. That'd be great, if I had any money, and I hadn't been given a list three pages long of things I'm going to need.

As it is, for the first time ever, I'm bringing two full checked bags and both the allowed carry-ons, so I look like some sort of crazed, traveling hoarder, hauling more luggage than person around.
Included in the myriad of things now stuffed into my over-stuffed bags are a full-sized pillow and a set of sheets. Yes, they were both on the list. I basically have a whole bed in my suitcase.
A bit of traveling advice: If you are going for less than a month, there's no reason for a checked bag. Six months: one checked bag and one carry-on. Two years in who-knows-where, and I'm going to pack whatever the Peace Corps recommends... plus a kite. Because you should always bring a kite. You never know when kite flying will be necessary.
They also said to bring a few things to remind you of home, so I brought two tiny stuffed birds (a chickadee and a purple finch of course) that make bird noises.
I have enough sunscreen to drown in, so I figure that'll last me a week or so. Not on the list, but definitely in my bags are a mosquito net to go over the bed I'm hoping fits the sheets they told me to bring, and a water purifier. Nothing takes the shine off a new adventure like getting horribly sick from sketchy water. Other than those two things, I didn't go too overboard with the survivalist gear. This isn't camping: I'm going where people live all the time. If they can do it, surely I can, right? If not, don't tell me, because that's not helpful. Just be on the alert for the SOS signal I'll have to send message-in-a-bottle style, and then come rescue me.

This is what two years of clothes looks like, according to the Peace Corps:
Here's what that same pile looks like when you're severely limited on packing space:

Packing tip #3: 
Split your clothes between your bags. That way if they lose one of your bags, you're not stuck with all your tee-shirts, but none of your pants. Also, put at least a day or two in your carry-on, and your toothbrush. No one likes stinky breath while they're waiting for the airline to maybe find the suitcase that has the pants. It's bad enough you'll be standing around in your undies. Have some dignity and some toothpaste.

Well, I've got my flights, I've got my luggage, and I sort of have a half-baked plan. Now all that's really left to do is say a bunch of goodbyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment