Thursday, September 15, 2016

This is it

I've been in Guyana nearly two weeks now, and this has been my first chance to post. I'm in a van crushed between 13 other people, desperately trying to type up a little update on my phone before I lose service again.
Since I don't have much time, here are the highlights:
I adore my host family, and they've been spoiling me rotten. My host-mom is quite possibly the best cook in the village, and all the food is amazing. My host-brother is a doll, and I'll tell you all about him and the rest of the family as soon as I get a chance.
I've sweat more than I ever have in my life, and the mosquitos are horrendous.
I hand fed manatees, saw a tarantula, had run-ins with snakes and lizards and frogs, and ate fried worms.
I'm alive and well and already love it here.  If my permanent site and host-family are as wonderful as the training town and people,  I may never leave Guyana.
Oh yeah, and we have a pet parrot named Kevin, whom I adore, and you'll hear about him ad nauseum I'm sure.
Details and pictures to follow as soon as possible!

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome. The pictures are amazing. Glad you're doing well and look forward to more pictures, soon!

    Any requests that we can mail to you???

    G -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letters in general are great. If you want to send *stuff* things like NH or America or NE specific trinkets are perfect. Or books! I cannot ever get enough books, and my host brother was very disappointed that I didn't have many with me when I came. All packages are opened by the post offices, so include a packing list when you send it, just in case something gets taken out, I'll know. And don't write high values for the things, or they'll charge me an arm and a leg to get them to hand it over.

      Delete