Saturday, May 12, 2018

Phagwah

Okay, this post is waaaay late. This happened back in like... the first week of March, but I got a little out of order when I tried to catch back up and post about everything all at once. So, for reference, this was before Rodeo but after Carnival. Whatever; doesn't matter.

What is Phagwah? If you want the religious explanation, you'll have to google it. What it is for Amerindians, is an excuse to throw paint and water at each other, and a day off work/school. Really, what more could you want?

When you can't even get them to behave for a simple picture...

So we did just that. I had to check on a sick kid in one of the dorms first, and the students were nice enough to let me do that BEFORE they attacked, but that was as far as their self-control allowed. On my way back, I was ambushed with a bucket of water and handfuls of paint powder.

Resistance is futile

For a few hours, the kids chased each other around until everyone was a living rainbow and shivering from being sopping wet.

Cleunicia's shirt is pretty much my motto when I do anything stupid (so most of the time, really).
I was not the only teacher caught up in the fray
All that glitter, and it's his eyes that sparkle 
I always promise the kids I won't put up unflattering pictures, but I don't think Shena has ever looked less than lovely in a picture, even messy and covered in paint!
Tennie and Bathsheba, shivering but sunshiny
Who could resist these faces?

I can't tell if this is a candid shot, or his next album cover



No comments:

Post a Comment