Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The special ones

I've told the Year One kids that they were special, because they are the only class I get to see start to finish. I got to see this year's graduates just for the second half, and the next class for their first half, but I'll be here for these kids the whole time. That makes them special. It also means I will lean on them harder than any other group. So far, they've met the challenge I threw down cheerfully.
There are fewer of them now than when they started, and we'll lose a few more before they come back next month for their second year, but the ones who are left are the best sort: ready to play, hard working, and willing to make an attempt at whatever is asked of them. They are also sassy, which I love, but they never cross the line from fun to disrespectful. This is why I love playing games in class with them; I know it won't get out of hand.
These are the kids who are the best about coming to get me whenever something interesting comes along. Three of them came to get me and then ran through the savanna to chase down that anteater. They point out frogs and lizards, and are the first to volunteer for hikes and birdwatches.
Hopefully this next year, now that I know them so much better, I'll have lots of individual stories to tell so that you can get to know them too. In the meantime, just look at these kids! If they don't crack you up, it's only because you're a soulless monster.

2 comments:

  1. Love your stories and the pictures beautiful people you're working with. The age group of the group of kids I 2ould assume is sixteen to eighteen years old?
    Love and miss you you're most favorite Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, most of them are somewhere between 18 and 22. The youngest last year was 16, and the oldest was 24.

      Delete