Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Paiwomak Warriors

I brought a nice fancy camera with me to Guyana, and I have always loved watching football (soccer, for those of you who are silly enough to watch that other "football" nonsense). Those may seem unrelated, but it isn't. It turns out Region Nine has a few very talented teams, and I started tagging along with the one nearest me, the Paiwomak Warriors, when they saw some of the photos I'd taken of games. I was happy enough to become a sort of unofficial photographer for them towards the end of the season, which worked out great for me because it meant I always got to go play spectator. The Paiwomak Warriors included two coworkers, my host dad, and two of my students, so I would have been cheering for them anyways. They made it as far as the finals, where they finally lost their first game of the whole season, after three of their players were carried off the field on stretchers within the first twenty minutes of play. Despite that, they seemed in good spirits at the after party, and all along the trip home all along the flooded road. Watching wobbly and injured players straggling through mud and knee deep water while tossing good-natured ribbing back and forth was even more amusing than the game had been. Here are a few of their photos from two of the games this past season, and let's hope they do even better this season. Wish them luck!

My students are John (front row, second from left) and Norieson (second row, fifth from left)
My host dad, Zico, one of the toughest defenders you'll see
Norieson
John

No comments:

Post a Comment