Friday, November 17, 2017

Amerindian Heritage

Everyone in my cohort is placed in Amerindian villages. That means that for us, the month of September is all about Amerindian Heritage festivals. 

Ceremonial cleansing of the air (or something to that effect)
These are usually filled with traditional costumes (or approximations of them), dances, foods, and competitions. They participate in things like bow shooting, cassava grating, fire starting, cotton spinning, and of course drinking. 
The first (of four) celebrations I went to was in Annai. 

One of the dance groups at the Annai Heritage Festival
My students then put on the next show, at their own institute. Unfortunately, the only competition was a pageant, which I dread. Almost every volunteer loathes the pageants. They are so uncomfortable to sit through.

The Heritage Festival in St. Ignatius was the biggest in the region. Most of the Region Nine volunteers crashed with Gabrielle for a few days to go to that one, which, since I no longer had the responsibility of looking after students, was much more fun. We danced until dawn both nights, and had an absolute blast.

The last one I went to was right outside of Lethem, in Nappi. The food was great, but they unfortunately forgot to actually plan any festivities, so except for the drinking contest and a tug-of-war, it was just a sort of regular day in the village.

My students portraying the nine tribes of Guyana (Macushi, Wapishana, Patamona, Warau, Carib, Acuaio, Wai Wai, Aracuna, Arawak, not necessarily in that order)
My students dancing (I think they were doing the Gold Dance)
John and Litisha performing

No comments:

Post a Comment