Monday, February 20, 2017

Reconnect

We've come back to Georgetown for our three-month check in! The eight of us converged on the capital city, which, honestly, terrifies me. Georgetown is not my cup of tea. So far the cab drivers have been nice, but walking anywhere subjects you to some of the most horrible cat-calls I've ever come across. These guys call out things I can't repeat, so trust me that it's the sort of comments that make a girl instantly gag.

The hotel they put us in was great. Sam and I got "the party room" (aptly named). All of us had SO MUCH to catch up on, that I think none of us slept all week. I'm fairly certain that none of us have any secrets anymore, and every weird illness, parasite, pick-up line, or awkward situation has been hashed out. Lance and Thomas have proven to be the funniest of all of us. I'm pretty sure Lance could talk about a nap, and it would still leave the rest of us in tears laughing. Also, I can't remember the last time I had so many burgers or pizza. It's not that we don't like Guyanese food, it's just that for the last three months, we haven't had anything BUT Guyanese food. Pizza and burgers are the closest we can get to a home-comfort, and the search for the best version is like a PC-wide treasure hunt. I honestly get whatsapp updates on it.

I got to Skype my mother and two of my aunts back home (I tried to call my dad, but for some reason it wouldn't work). I haven't been homesick much, but I do miss my family. It's so good to hear from them, and see their faces. Even better when it's snowy and cold there, and I can rub in the fact that it's never been below 70F here.

Since the whole point of bringing us back to Georgetown was so we could sit in on more "trainings" and present our ridiculously long reports about our sites, I have surprisingly little that I want to say about that.

I fly back to Region Nine tomorrow morning, and it will likely be another 9 months before I see the other seven members of my cohort again.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you too!
    Oh and it's snowing like a champ here.
    PS if I had less of a loathing for the PC Lords at MS I'd have a Skype account, ever though about wechat?
    Hugs from snowy, cold VT


    ReplyDelete