Monday, November 7, 2016

It's Official!

It's been a roller coaster, but we're finally sworn in as Volunteers rather than Trainees. Nine out of the ten of us swore in today. Ellen made the decision to pursue other adventures. We're sad to see her go, but she's going to do great things. PS, if you know of a mammal research position open, she's your girl. She's incredibly qualified, bright, and a pleasure to work with.
Left to right: Sam (Region One), Ellen, yours truly (Region Nine), Kirsten (Region One)
Despite the fact that the other two girls are going to be far away, we've become very close, and you'll hear about their adventures often, I'm sure, whenever my own are too dull to bother writing about.
All the boys made it through to swearing in, despite five of the six of them having to be brought low by illness during training. Apparently the boys are a bit more fragile than us hardcore ladies. Most of them will be heading to Region Nine on a tiny little bus with me at 4am tomorrow, although Dan is heading to Region One, and Matt is staying behind for a little while to recover from an injury.
Left to right: Thomas (9), Dylan (9), Lance (9), Matt (9), Jon (9) and Dan (1)
Of course, the downside to being done with training is that I had to say goodbye to my host family. I've become ridiculously attached to them over the last two months, so I didn't want to let them go. We spent our last evening at the training site splashing about in the creek (my favorite spot. Becky has decided I'm some sort of mermaid who will die if I dry out, so that's why I play in the rain and insist on going to the creek every day).
Our farewell to our little swimming hole

Also, for those of you who have never seen a parrot dance in the rain, you're welcome:

Daniel, despite thinking I'm completely nuts for running OUTSIDE whenever the rain starts, came out to play with Kevin (the parrot) and I as we danced around getting drenched. If nothing else, I've convinced an entire town that Americans can't let a rainstorm pass without being out in it. I don't think this is quite what Peace Corps meant by "share your culture" but I'm having fun with it.

Here's the highlight reel from Pre-Service Training:


Lance and his adoring Pup

Mitchell posing with his mom (Pauline)

Becky and Daniel posing for a "nice" picture
Since Becky is my host-brother's cousin, and she's Thomas's host-sister, I'm pretty sure that means Thomas is now my cousin.
My two favorites: Danny and Orlenna
How to acquire coconuts
Kirsten's host-brother Shown being camera-shy
Awww, I'm gonna miss this kid (my own host-brother).
Not how you play volleyball (Noel)
Maybe how you play volleyball? (Carey)
Sam trying to be intimidating (and failing miserably-- Pup got all excited to play)
More creek time (my favorite thing!)

Okay, I know that as an Environmental Peace Corps Volunteer, you were all expecting more nature, and less volleyball. Fair enough. Play time's over now, and a very soon post will have tons of outdoors-y pictures for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment